This is a simple and easy buttermilk cornbread that you will love it! Moist and mouthwatering, this cornbread bread is an ideal breakfast or late night dinner. You will need just 10 minutes to prepare it plus around 30 minutes to cook. Here is the recipe:
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup shortening (at room temperature) or melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C/Gas Mark 6. Combine together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, buttermilk, and shortening/butter (or shortening).
- Grease and flour a 9 by 9-inch baking dish. Apply the buttermilk mixture to the cornmeal and flour mixture and whisk just until the flour is moistened around 10 seconds. You should get a lumpy batter. Remember – do not overmix!
- Once the dry and liquid ingredients are incorporated, spread the batter into your baking pan and place it in the oven.
- Bake until lightly golden brown, around 25 to 30 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove and allow to cool before serving. Slice and serve.