The softness of this spongy dark chocolate cake and flavor of the cream cheese combined with deep chocolate flavor are creating a beautiful, creamy, rich, and smooth chocolate dessert. Simple and easy to make, this spongy dark chocolate cake with chocolate cream cheese filling is impeccable for all chocolate lovers! Here is the recipe:
For the spongy chocolate cake:
- 115 grams butter or margarine
- 115 grams caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 90 grams self-rising flour
- 25 grams high-quality (dark) cocoa powder
For the chocolate cream cheese filling:
- 125 grams cream cheese, cold
- 100 grams high-quality dark chocolate
- 280 grams confectioner sugar, sifted
- 55 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
To make the spongy chocolate cake:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF /180ºC/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 9-inch round baking pan. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Next, beat in the eggs, gradually, and if the butter begins to curdle, apply a little flour.
- Then, using a metal spoon, add the cocoa powder and the remaining flour. Combine to incorporate.
- Pour the butter in the baking pan. Place in the oven and bake for around 20-25 minutes or just until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Once baked, remove and allow to cool before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling
To make the chocolate cream cheese filling:
- Break the dark chocolate into pieces and add in a microwavable safe bowl; melt in the microwave in 30 sec. intervals until melted; stir until smooth. Set aside to cool down for 3 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed beat the icing sugar and butter together until well combined.
- Apply the cream cheese and beat until smooth and incorporated. Pour the melted chocolate and continue mixing until the frosting is light and fluffy (6-7 minutes).
- Spread the chocolate cream cheese filling on top of the cake. Allow to set for 30 minutes in the fridge. Slice and serve.