Caprese cake is one of the most popular Italian dessert recipes, and this is a moist and extra chocolatey version of the famous treat. Surprise your family or friends with this unique Caprese cake this weekend and enjoy la dolce vita! Following, read the recipe:
Servings 10-12 Ingredients: For the cake:
- 55 grams’ caster sugar
- 85 grams whole blanched almonds
- 1 whole egg plus 5 eggs separated
- 150 grams’ caster sugar
- 270 grams’ dark chocolate, melted
- 5 tablespoons freshly brewed espresso coffee
- 45 grams chopped almonds
- Icing sugar, to dust
To decorate (optional):
- A dollop of vanilla ice cream
- candied fruit
- chopped almonds
- chocolate shavings
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and lightly flour 20 cm round baking pan. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, grind the 55 grams’ caster sugar along with the whole almonds.
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the 1 egg and 5 egg yolks together with the caster sugar until you get a smooth, pale, and creamy mixture.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave (in 30-second intervals, on high speed) or over a very low heat. Set aside to cool shortly.
- Then, in another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Combine the cooled melted chocolate with and sugar and egg yolk mixture.
- Stir in the chopped almonds and ground almonds.
- Whisk in a spoonful of egg whites in order to loosen the mixture. Then, slowly add in the remaining egg whites.
- Apply the mixture to the prepared baking pan and bake for around 40 to 45 minutes.
- When the cake is baked, leave in the pan to cool before turning out onto a cake stand or plate.
- Decorate with a dollop of vanilla ice cream, candied fruit or a few chopped almonds (if desired). Before serving, dust with icing sugar and slice.