In this Italian White Chocolate Hazelnut cake, layers are filled with white chocolate buttercream combined with hazelnuts and spongy cake. You will need just 40-45 minutes to prepare this rich and creamy cake. Here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 3 sticks (1 ½ cups) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ¼ cups caster sugar
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 ¾ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup hazelnuts, toasted
For the buttercream:
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 sticks (1½ cups) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, toasted
For the white chocolate ganache glaze:
- 450 grams (16 oz.) white chocolate
- ¾ cup (6 fl oz.) heavy cream
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325°F/160°C/Gas Mark 3. Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper circles.
- In a mixer bowl, using the paddle attachment whisk the butter on medium until fluffy (around 2 minutes). Slowly add the cream and sugar. Occasionally scrape down sides of the bowl. Put eggs, one at a time, and scrape down bottom and sides of the mixer bowl after every addition. Add vanilla and sour cream and vanilla, and whisk until well incorporated and smooth.
- Sift together baking powder, flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix ½ cup of the flour mixture with the hazelnuts in a blender. Pulse until the nuts are finely ground. Stir the hazelnut blend into the rest of the dry ingredients.
- On low speed, place the dry ingredients to butter mixture in 4 stages. Whisk well and scrape down the bowl after every addition.
- Split batter between both pans. Put in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the cakes are golden and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the heat and cool completely on racks. After that, invert pans to remove cake layers and then peel off parchment paper.
To make the White Chocolate Buttercream:
- Beat egg whites and sugar together in the mixer bowl. Set the bowl over simmering water and stir constantly until the egg whites are hot and the sugar is dissolved.
- Beat mixture with the whisk attachment on medium until cooled. Changing to the paddle attachment whisk in the butter and continue whipping until the buttercream is smooth. Mix vanilla extract into the buttercream.
- Finally, roughly chop the hazelnuts. Add in the buttercream mixture and combine with a spoon.
- Torte both cake layers to end up with 4 layers. Apply the 1st one onto a cake board and spread about ⅓ of the white chocolate buttercream onto the cake layer.
- Top with the 1st cake layer and repeat the procedure for the next 2 layers. When the 4 cake layers are assembled and filled, you can ice the sides and the top with remaining buttercream (or whipped topping if you have).
- Place in the fridge to chill the cake. Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate ganache glaze.
To make the white chocolate ganache glaze:
- Chop white chocolate into pieces and put in a bowl. Leave aside. Bring heavy cream to a boil, then remove from heat and put the white chocolate pieces. Leave the mixture to sit for around 5 minutes, then gently stir until a smooth ganache creates. Do not stir very rapidly as you don’t want to slot in air bubbles.
- Put the ganache in the freezer to cool for a while (but not for too long – around 10-15 minutes) – or until it is no longer warm to the touch – but still is pourable and hasn’t toughened.
- Apply a wire rack on a baking sheet. Place the white chocolate hazelnut cake on the rack. Pour the white chocolate ganache glaze onto the cake.
- Let the cake sit for just 1 minute and scrape excess from the bottom, then put the cake in the fridge to let it firm up. Place the cake in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving. You will cut the ganache much easier with a hot knife.