- 300 g/11 oz. dark/semisweet dark chocolate. broken into pieces
- 200 g/7 oz./1 cup fresh chilled custard
- 150 ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 275 g/10 oz./2 ½ cups good-quality pistachio ice cream
- 25 g/1 oz./ ¼ cup shelled and toasted pistachios
- 50 g/2 oz./ 1/3 cup finely chopped mixed/candied peel
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped glace/candied cherries
- 275 g/10 oz./2 ½ cups good-quality strawberry ice cream
Line a 450 g/1 lb. loaf tin/pan with plastic wrap. Place in the freezer. Melt 100 g/3 ½ oz. of the chocolate into a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. stir until smooth. then cool. Place the custard into a bowl. Stir in the cream and the chocolate and stir until mixed. Spoon into a shallow. lidded freezer box and transfer to the freezer. Every 2 hours. remove from the freezer and. using an electric whisk. whisk thoroughly. Repeat 3 times. then leave until frozen solid.
Remove the chocolate ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften. Remove the loaf tin from the freezer and press the chocolate ice cream into the bottom of the tin. press down well and allow it to come up the sides of the tin. Return to the freezer and leave until solid.
Soften the pistachio ice cream. then beat in the pistachios. mixed/candied peel and cherries. Spoon into the tin. pressing down well and smoothing the top. Return to the freezer until hard. Soften the strawberry ice cream and spread onto the pistachio ice cream. Smooth the top. Return to the freezer for at least 1 hour until completely solid.
Meanwhile. melt the remaining chocolate. stir until smooth and cool slightly. Remove the loaf tin from the freezer. Dip into hot water and turn onto a serving dish. Using a teaspoon. drizzle the chocolate over the ice cream in a haphazard pattern. Return the cassatta to the freezer until the chocolate has set. Dip a knife in hot water and use to slice the cassatta. Serve immediately.