The most delicious treat of the season! This chocolate pumpkin pie is so rich and creamy, plus smooth and silky with a nice mixture of chocolate and pumpkin. It will take you around an hour and a half to make it, plus around two hours to set. Here is the recipe:
For the pie crust:
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter (cold, cut into small pieces)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water, ice cold
For the filling:
- 6 oz. milk chocolate, chopped
- 3 oz. dark chocolate, very finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 can (14-oz) pumpkin puree
- 1 can (12-oz) evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon allspice
- A pinch of salt
- Chocolate sauce or chocolate curls, for garnish (optional)
To make the pie crust:
- In a food processor or blender, mix the flour, sugar, butter, and salt until blended. Pour 2 tablespoons ice water, then process until the dough holds together when squeezed and crumbly. (If very dry, apply another sprinkle of water, but don’t over mix.)
- Place the dough into a plastic bag and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/ 220°C/Gas Mark 7.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out on floured surface; press it into the bottom and edges of a deep 9-in. pie baking dish.
- Then, cut a piece of baking paper to the size of the pie plate and line the pie crust; apply pie weights and place in the oven.
- Bake until golden, around 15 minutes. Remove the baking pan along with the pie weights. Lower the oven to 325°F/ 160°C/Gas Mark 3.
- Return the pie dough to the oven to dry out, about 5 minutes.
To make the filling:
- In a saucepan, apply both chocolates and butter, set over low heat and stir frequently until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Next, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the evaporated milk, pumpkin puree, eggs, light brown sugar, cornstarch, allspice, vanilla, and salt.
- Stir in the melted chocolate mixture; mix to combine.
- Set the pie on a baking sheet and spread the filling into the crust. Bake about 60 minutes or until the middle of the pie has just about set but has a slight jiggle.
- Let cool completely, then top with chocolate shavings or drizzle chocolate sauce over (if desired). Slice and serve.